Thursday, January 18, 2007

Fahrenheit 451 pages 21-40

Read Fahrenheit 451 pp. 21- 40
(to the section break at the top of p. 40)

What do you find confusing?
What is something you don’t understand?

In the pages 21-40 I feel that I am not really confused about anything unparticular. Although, compared to the earlier reading, this section has more metaphors and is a little harder to understand what or how Bradbury is trying to portray in his writing. When I don't understand something I simply go back and read it again. The second time around I usually get it then move on.

1) Montag compares Mildred (his wife) to Clarisse and says that Clarisse seems older. In what way does Clarisse act more mature and WHY do you think she is more mature? Why does Bradbury (the author) make the contrast between the two?

I think that the reason Montag compares Mildred to Clarisse and says that Clarisse, a seventeen year old, seems older than his wife, a 30 year old, is simply because he sees how their human nature differs. For example, Clarisse talks about things like tasting the rain, what things used to be like, and about trying new things. I think that Montag is attracted to this part of her that he has probably never experienced before. His wife seems to be the kind of person who is oblivious to what is really going on around her. Although that is what most of the people in this society must think. It seems that Montag realizes that Clarisse has a beautiful personality as well as a wonderful, imaginative mind. She doesn’t just accept what is put in front of her and she wants to determine the truth, not just what she is expected to know and believe. This would make her seem “older” than Mildred because of the fact that Mildred doesn’t really think for herself. She is basically brainwashed and does unimportant activities. For example, she is amused with the smallest things, like interactive television scripts, which I’m sure Clarisse wouldn’t be too fond of.

2 comments:

Chance Bentley said...

I thought this was very well written and that you did a good job answering the second question on this homework assignment.

Kit Haggard said...

Susie,
WOW! I really liked your comparison. I especially liked how you said that Clarisse wouldn’t like the television scripts. I think that to make predictions like that is to really look into her character. I agree with everything that you said. I think that Montag sees Clarisse as this—thing—that just thinks for it’s self. In many ways she is a lot older than even he is because even he, though he is not attracted to the “parlor family”, has been taught all of these things about firemen that he just believes and it take Clarisse to point out that there might even BE another way of thinking. I think that you really thought about this.
I also agree with what you say about it getting richer with metaphors. The first part was pretty straight forward, but this part, you have to look for the meaning behind everything.
Good post!
Kit