Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Iliad Reflection - Book One

DUE THR 2/22 Iliad Reflection - Book One
Answer the following question in your blog. Please cut and paste the question above your answer and put it in bold.
If you were an ancient Greek, which of the following statements would you agree with?
A) Achilles’ rage is justified and I support his decision not to fight, even if it means the Greeks might lose lots of men, or even the war itself.
Or
B) Agamemnon is the commander, as such he is in the right, and I support his decision to ask for Achilles’ war prize Briseis – even if it means that Achilles will sit out the war.
Your answer should be a good solid paragraph, have a topic sentence, and MUST use evidence from Homer.


If I were an ancient Greek i would agree with A:

I do believe that Achilles has a good reason to be upset. After all, he is the one who fought long and hard, he is the one who deserved a prize in the first place. Aggamemnon shouldn't abuse his power to get what he wants, thats definetly not a good quality for a leader. Also, not only does Aggamemnon kidnap Crysies, while all other men fight for their "prizes," but when the father askes for his daughter back, he refuses. Finally he does give her up, but only if he reiceves a prize of equal value to what he has lost. "Not so quickly, brave as you are, godlike Achilles - trying to cheat me. Oh no, you wont get past me, take me in that way! What do you want? To cling to your own prize while I sit calmly by - empty handed here? Is that why you order me to give her back? No -- if our generous argives will give me a prize, a match for my desires, equal to what I've lost, well and good." I realize that was a long quote, but that is probably my favorite part of the whole book. I find it rediculous that Aggamemnon thinks he can go around snatching prizes that people have earned. He feels he is being cheated, when he is the one cheating Achilles. Another point is, Aggamemnon should cater to Achilles, he practically wins wars for the Acheans. If it wasnt for Achilles, Aggamemnon would have never had a war prize in the first place, which is very true, as we all know.

No comments: