Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Prep for Seminar

DUE THR 3/22 - Prep for Seminar
DUE THR 3/22
Prepare for Socratic Seminar by writing at least one-half page on at least one of the following prompts, or create your own prompt.

3) Does might make right?


If I understand this prompt correctly, "might" is referring to someone's ability or power in a certain situation or society. I think that might does not "make" what is right. It should not just be people who are higher in rank, it should be your own decision, although there are some cons to that. Some people, disregarding their social classes, have better, or more sophisticated ideas and reasoning on different subjects. For example, a normal person might have a really strong argument on a touchy topic that could sway many other people's opinions. On the other hand most citizens see the people who are above them as being these smarter people, which most times they are equally intelligent.

I see that many want to basically hide behind other opinions and they feel like they must agree. A quote from Fahrenheit 451 I thought had relevance to this topic. “So now do you see why books are hated and feared? They show the pores in the face of life. The comfortable people want only wax moon faces, poreless, hairless, and expressionless. We are living in a time when flowers are trying to live on flowers, instead of growing on good rain and black loam. Even fireworks, for all their prettiness, come from the chemistry on earth. Yet somehow we think we can grow, feeding on flowers and fireworks, without completing the cycle back to reality." They sometimes just want the easy way out of things, compared to saying what they believe or think is right. I even think we can relate it to people in our class. I’m sure some of the people who hardly speak in the Socratic seminars have a lot to say, but they are either to shy or scared that the more “dominate” people might not take their ideas into consideration. But, I feel that everyone had the right to say what they think, and whether that is taken into consideration by the people is up to society.

Another thing is that is it very hard, if not impossible to have opinions. However, it is even more impossible for those opinions to not be shot down by other contradicting voice. Although, if you don’t put it out there to be heard, how can you know that it won’t make an impact on someone, or something? If everyone doesn’t take the initiative and stand out, not to be a shadow in the background crowd, anyone can decide what is “right” and morally just. Make your voice count, is what I think, because at any moment in time, the chance to speak up might be bluntly taken away from you.

3 comments:

Mr. Jana said...

Thanks for such a thoughtful reply Susie. I’m glad to see that you found a connection to Fahrenheit 451. Did you notice how your final paragraph brings up the topic of free speech and censorship? There is a term called the free market of ideas which is related to what you wrote about. It is the idea that you need to put all of the ideas out in public and the best ones will rise to the top.

I Kiss Dating Goodbye said...

Hi Susie this is a comment HW =
My comment = Susie comment help me into realizing that being clam or telling the truth you can find happiness is much more deeper than that. Mostly because she was able to find hard questions within the argument I made.

Bart Cordero said...

Hey Susie I used your comment as an example of a useful comment for me

I thought that Susie’s comment was very useful because she told me what I had to improve on. In addition she told me that I should change some of the vocabulary in the paragraph because I used some words to much. She also suggested what I should do in future homework assignments such as proof reading my work before posting it. Finally, I thought that Susie’s comment was very useful and I will take the suggestion in checking my work before turning it in and changing some of the things that would make my paragraph better.